It’s winter and snow is falling. Along with snow and ice comes the preventive substances to keep us safe on the roads and sidewalks called De-Icer or calcium chloride. Although a very helpful product, it can be tracked into your home or business and leave stains and residues on your floors or surfaces. You will need to act rather quickly before it dries for the removal to be easily done. If you run into problems, please call a professional( 609-290-2691) or email for advice ( firstname.lastname@example.org).
Calcium Chloride (De-Icer)
For Carpet or textiles .If unsure what type of surface you have , do not try.
If dry thoroughly vacuum first. If wet blot dry with a dry WHITE absorbent towel. Blot with a solution of 1 cup of WHITE vinegar per 2 cups of water. The white vinegar will neutralize the de-icer residue. Blot with lukewarm water with a white towel. Blot dry with a dry WHITE absorbent towel. If a shop vac or a vacuum that can extract
For Tile, Hard Surface , or Laminate.If unsure what type of surface you have , do not try.
- Begin by filling a bucket with one part warm water and one part white vinegar.
- Use a soft cloth for smaller areas or a mop for larger areas. If washing the floor by hand, protect your skin with rubber gloves.
- Moisten the sponge or mop with the mixture and work it onto the salt stains on the floor.
- If the stains are thick, allow the vinegar to set on the stain for a minute.
- Wipe away.
- Work in small areas and repeat applications until the salt is removed.
- If the vinegar does not cut through all of the salt stains, fill a bucket with warm water and a small amount of dish detergent or floor cleaner.
- Use another clean cloth to scrub the floor with the soapy water. Use a mop for larger areas.
- Once the salt is removed, rinse the floor with clean water.
- Remove any excess water with a dry cloth. This is an especially important step for wood floors to keep them from warping.
- Allow the floors to dry completely.
- Spot treat any remaining areas as needed.
Additional Tips and Advice
- Do not apply any floor waxes or sealants until the salt is removed. Otherwise, it will seal the salt in.